Sunday, February 8, 2009

Time Flies in Europe



Apologies for not posting last Sunday -- I have had an incredibly busy last two weeks. I don't even know where to start...

Skip back to the week before this past week. I learned a couple of interesting cultural things...First of all is the idea of the "greve" and "manifestations." Greve is a strike in French and the manifestations are the protests and parades in relation to the strikes. The protests are very historical here as they stem back to the French Revolution and the storming of the Bastille. Anyways, there was this huge protests (25,000 people) in Tours walking down the main street. It was kind of like a party -- music and singing. But there were a lot of different signs for different reasons: different education system, better pay for the train workers, and the impeachment of Sarkozy among others. I watched the manifestation with some of my friends from other countries and got a lot of their opinions on the protests and how they work in their respective countries. 40% of the workforce was in the protests. And now, the universities here are having a really hard time with the greve. Professors here are government workers because education is nationalized. The professors are on strike thus, students to not have classes. They also don't know when classes will start up again. The strikes here can put life on pause for many individuals. Speaking of, many train and bus employees are on strike, making it harder to travel. February 18th is an important date because it is the day Sarkozy sits down to talk to the union leaders. If the talks do not go well, a bigger strike could literally put the entire country on hold. This country relies on its public transportation.





The past two weeks I've done quite a bit of traveling. Last weekend, I went to Chartres. It is a huge cathedral about 30 minutes outside of Paris by train. Historically, it has the biggest crypts in France and is larger than Notre Dame de Paris. I took a train up to Chartres...it was horrible. There is no direct line from Tours to Chartres so I went through Le Mans. Once in Le Mans, my train to Chartres had been cancelled. I had to wait around 2 hours (thus missing the time to go down into the crypts) for the next train. Once in Chartres, I realized I had no memory card (I bought one later in the afternoon) to take pictures. I just enjoyed myself in the cathedral not worrying about taking pictures. It was actually relaxing. I went up the tower (climbed 600 steps) to see an amazing view of the city. Overall, the trip was very enjoyable. I am in an Art History class here and knowing what I"m looking at in these massive cathedrals really makes things ten times better.



My sister came to visit this week so I had a great time getting to see her and speak French with her more. :) I'm meeting more French people and not hanging out with the English speakers as much now, and I'm a lot happier.



Yesterday, my program traveled to St. Savin (an abbey) and the city of Poitiers. We saw a lot of sculptures in two cathedrals in Poitiers and had our packed lunches there. My host dad sent me 3 sandwiches and a huge pot of taboule. He thinks I eat so much when I don't. lol We all share our lunches between the group -- its funny. I LOVED St. Savin. It's a completely painted church. The ceiling has paintings that date to the 11th century. The detail and the story line of the paintings fascinate me. The paint was painted on wet plaster as they made the church so the painters had to work quickly. I wish I could explain the detail of the paintings but I'll post some pics to give you an idea.



I find it interesting how people here practice religion. My host dad was telling me that there are 70% Catholics, 20% Protestant, and 10% agnostic. Most individuals here are agnostic rather than atheist. My father (in the US) told me he read an article saying that more than 90% of people have not been to church (I don't know what time frame). I don't find this the case, however. When I visit churches there are always people there praying at the altar with the relics. I just find it interesting how the churches are the center of the old towns and how everything is built around them. It shows how involved religion was in people's lives.

Last Sunday was the Superbowl in the states. However, no one in Europe cared. Instead, we were too busy (especially in France) getting excited and watching the World Championship Team Handball match between France and Croatia. For those of you who don't know handball, it's like a mix of soccer, hockey, and basketball mixed with a tiny bit of football. The US just started playing and had their first team in the Olypmics last summer. The game is fun to watch and it was an really intense final match. And of course, the French won!! :)

Top Ten for the Week: What I love about France
1. Nutella for breakfast...mmm chocalately goodness.
2. Carte 12-25: Get train tickets for cheap!!
3. Art History (even though Kevin always goes at least a half hour longer)
4. Studio Movies: Original movies in English with French subtitles
5. Taboo Junior in French
6. Meeting actual French people and being friends with them
7. Talking on the phone in French
8. Soldes!!
9. Cathedrals
10. Wine tastings

Have a good week everyone!! Leave me comments/questions...I'll be better about getting back to them this week! (I have midterms Thursday and Friday so I won't be on Wednesday or Thursday)

Pictures: My friends and me in front of my school, manifestation, tower of Chartres, Chartres cathedral, me in a town outside of Poitiers, St. Savin Painted Church

10 comments:

  1. Everything Sounds great. You're not going to want to come back to America when you're done. You said the majority of the population is Catholic. Does religion play an important role in the way business is conducted. As I'm sure you know, we're reading "The World Is Flat" and it talks about cultures and beliefs meaning less and less in the future. I was just curious if religion is an important part of life and if the world is to flatten, will we all except the same religion or become more versed in all others. My guess is the latter of the two statements. It's all very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, Blakely! It sounds like you're having a great time! I have a question-when I took French in high school, I remember learning that there were many high school students protesting about the test that French students take to get into college. If I remember correctly, if you do well you get into school and college is free, right? Anyway, I was wondering if that had anything to do with the protests that were currently happening. Also, it sounds to me as though France is more focused on maintaining its history than progressing in terms of technology. In the Friedman book we're reading,the author is discussing the flattening of the world as a result of technology. Do you see evidence of this in France? Thanks! Have a good week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey! Hope you're having fun and speaking alot of French! I understand it's hard to go back to English, thanks for doing it for all us non-French speakers. I have a quick question about language - when I was abroad, my German was lacking (to put it nicely) and they (mostly Germans, but in other areas too) would immediately go into English, whether I wanted them to or not. Do they do that to you as well? Or do the French prefer to speak French? Also, Germans would speak English not only because it was easier for me, and not as hard for them as German was for me, but also to practice. Do you have alot of friends who want to "practice" their English on you? nd if so, do you have one of those "bi-lingual" conversations - they speak in English, you answer in French?
    Also, are many of the signs and things in multiple languages, or just in French? And do you think these things (English speaking or the lack thereof, signs, etc.) help or hurt the French?
    Hope all is well! Oh, and I'm glad you survived the protests!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Blakely, glad to hear things are going well for you over there.

    The one thing I was wondering (based off of your entry) is whether the French population treats Sarkozy similar to how we treated Bush. Does the French press bash on him, or do they support him?

    The other thing I've been wondering (and maybe you can hit on this in your next entry) is what French television is like? Is it nationalized like the BBC, or more open like our system?

    P.S. - Handball was fun to watch during the Olympics. Do they use the same rules or are they different?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Blakely,

    You’re discussion of how churches are the center of the towns (which is the opposite of US towns) and how important a sport that most Americans have never heard made me think about a section of The World is Flat, that I just finished reading. Friedman introduces the concept of “glocalization,” which explains how important culture is for a successful flattening of the world. Friedman discusses how some religions and cultures are “progress prone” while others are “progress resistant.” One aspect that is important is how outward their culture is, meaning how open they are to foreign influences and ideas. Do you see a great amount of openness among the French? Or do you feel they are more closed desire to keep their own culture and ideals?

    Anastasia Ault

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am glad to hear that you are doing well. I apologize for not posting in a while. I have struggled with getting my research proposals in good shape. Anyway, it sounds as if you are having a delightful time. Today in class our discussion took a path back to you. Interesting, eh? We were talking about how creativity and passion will supersede the importance of IQ. In particular you were used as being willing to put yourself out there in a new environment. That you were passionate about being in France, speaking the language, and immersing yourself in the culture. This innate willingness and passion will give you a bi-product of intelligence, at least according to Friedman. I would tend to agree. Your experiences in France will make you not only better able to connect internationally, but it will make you versatile and marketable. It will help you to survive in this globalized world after your college experience. Would you agree? Have you noticed particular items about the French culture that you might favor as compared to culture here? Things that you are less enthusiastic about?

    Dove Love!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Blakely, it sounds like you're really starting to get into the swing of things there. You know, the more I read your blog, the more I long to be in France too! You are so lucky to be studying art history in France, believe me. You're surrounded by your course material!
    One thing you mentioned about the greve surprised me: I didn't know that the French people were passionate about the impeachment of Sarcozy From what we've learned in leadership, Sarcozy is a charismatic leader and I would assume that he would be well liked. How do the French react to their president in general. What about your host family, what are there thoughts on him? Also, has the greve interfered with your life there at all?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Blakely,
    It sounds like you have had an amazing few weeks!!! Haha Not only are you in a new country but you are experiencing all of the new aspects of French culture it must be soo cool! I know that alot of people have been asking you about the religion but I also found it interesting! Back home in Toledo, church was very big at high school and grade school and even freinds from public schools! Now here in Marietta, I have seen that religion is not the sole focus! I know that the majority is Catholic, but I wondered if you noticed any conflict or "hard feelings" towards the other religions. I know here in the US it is different and many religions face many prejudices but I wondered if it was more tolerant in France or if you saw some similarities?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Blakely,

    It must be so interesting to be in France and watching all of that controversy unfold in front of you. I hope that it doesn't make life too difficult while you're there, it would be horrible to miss out on something while you're abroad.
    You said that religion is a strong central focus for many people in France, does the culture still focus on faith or is it more of an assumption that most people are Christian (of one demonination or another)and that Churches are historical landmarks with religious conotations (like many famouse works of art that are appreciated as art when they are also religious in nature).

    ReplyDelete
  10. Blakely,
    I'm amazed that you've embraced the French culture so quickly and are making more French friends! Your say that religion is a huge part of people's lives there, Catholics especially. It's so very different, and I love that people tend to be more agnostic than atheist! But I was curious, is there prejudice between the religions like in the US? And is it in all cities in France that the cathedrals are in the center? Because it seems like they uphold the traditions of religion more, since America used to be like that back when it was first developing but not so much anymore.
    I was intrigued by the similarity with sports enthusiam as well. The fact that even though our national sports are so different, but the fact everyone gets very excited about both of them and supportive of their team is really cool. I also found it interesting that France was playing Croatia in the handball world championship. It makes me wonder, since the US is so passionate about football, it makes us somewhat secluded from competing with the rest of the world since most countries do not play football to the same extent.

    Ps. I totally agree with you: Nutella is DELICIOUS!
    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete