Saturday, February 21, 2009

Lots to Write!!!




I want to start writing before I forget everything I want to put in my post today so I"ll get to your questions after dinner. :)

A lot has happened in the past week! Some things I'll talk about: excursion to Bourges, food, typical French with the English language, tendencies of school and university, the notion of traveling, problems with the bus, and a bit of TV.



To start off, I went to the city of Bourges this past weekend with my program. There is a "palais" (really really nice house) and a huge cathedral there. Cathedrals mean so much more to me than they used to because I know what I am looking at. The cathedral has windows so low to the ground that one could almost reach up and touch them. This is unlike most other cathedrals. With this, one can easily read the stories portrayed on the windows. Every sculpture and window has a purpose to either use fear or hope to boost Christians' faith. Also in Bourges is the Palais de Jacques-Coeur. The palais is hard to explain but my favorite part was the sculptures. They were sculptures of animals - frogs, snails, and monkeys. I didn't get the monkeys but they were cute. Also, there was a secret passage way from Jacques-Coeur's room to his wife's room. It was a really long day but I really enjoy my program director. He knows everything you could ever want to know about France and its history and art history and religion. It's absolutely amazing. He doesn't believe in religion but he knows than most other Christians I know.





I had a good conversation with my host dad the other night -- we stayed at the table about an hour and a half after dinner had finished. We were talking about French dishes and traveling. At that dinner, I ate a sausage made of blood of pork and some oignons and bread all mixed together. It was really soft and it really didn't taste that horrible. Had my French mom not answered, "I'll tell you after you eat it." when I asked her what it was, I might have eaten the whole thing. I asked what it was after I ate some and my host dad and brother tried to tell me it was red ants from Africa smooshed up. I didn't believe them but found out that it was blood of pork instead. Yum. We started talking about how the French eat tongue, brain, etc. My host dad said he thought that Americans wasted a lot of the meat (mind you, he studied abroad in Iowa in the late 70s) and the French do not. The French use every part of their cows, pigs, etc. And they are hormone-free. I think they even taste better. ANyways, he said that his grandparents and parents used to eat brain of a donkey at least once a week. And tongue as well. Everything of that sort is very well cooked but it takes a long time. THis is why a lot of the French do not eat this type of food anymore because the demands of life are starting to build.

We also talked about travel. His host parents in America had never seen the ocean. That is definitely not the case. My host dad knows a lot of stats -- I never know if they're true or not -- but he said 40% of Americans have never been on an airplane and 80% have never seen the ocean. I know a lot of people have not but I don't know if the stats are that high. Here in France, everyone travels because of its ease. Although I like the trains here, they are definitely not perfect.

I went to Raclette party at my French friend's house last week. Raclette is a special dish in France made with Raclette cheese, bread, steamed potatoes, and all sorts of cut meat. In French classes previously, I had always had it with Roast Beef but that's not how they eat it here. They have tons of different types of ham and bacon and they have machines that you melt the cheese in. You pour the melted cheese over the potatoes and cut the meet and eat it with the potatoes and cheese. It is delicious! Anyways, I found out some things about the FAC aka university here. One of my good friends here just quit the FAC because she was so tired of the greves. They didn't have class but still had the scheduled exams. She was fed up with it so she is going to a private school now. Yeah, speaking of greves, we had two more set days last week so transportation was no fun and lots of manifestations occured. Further, my friends were talking about a 23 year old who had just started at the FAC. APparently, it is NOT normal to go to school that late. If you do not go immediately after high school, you don't go at all. It also seems to me that the people who are in your "major" and class are your friends and that's it. The group of people I hang out with are all in the same class except for one who lives with one in the class. I also asked one of my friends there if typical French people spoke English because a lot of them do not know that much. They said that typically, at least in this region, people do not speak fluent or close to fluent English.

Also random thought, the French don't use "lol." THey use "mdr." It means mourir de rire : dying of laughter.

Also at the party, I talked about TV and music. I found out that the French watch Little House on the Prairie -- in French. I got a huge kick out of this. Also, they have Disney here but it's all translated, including the songs, into French. So it's universal, but not completely.

I went bowling the other night and I have never seen such an impressive alley. To play three games we only paid around 8 Euro -- a steal in the states! And the alley had a nice sit down area to eat. Also, every night is glow bowling. It was a lot of fun.

One last thing for today -- every Friday there is a bus that comes near my house which is a bus that people go to to give blood. It just parks there all day. I took a picture.



Pictures: Patisserie, Me in front of Bourges Cathedral, front of Bourges Cathedral, Palais Jacques Coeur (best I could do), blood donor bus

Top Ten Things that are Impolite in French culture and not in American culture

1. When someone sneezes, you’re not supposed to say bless you ; you ignore them
2. Don’t cut your lettuce; it's really impolite, instead you fold your lettuce and push it onto a piece of bread if necessary.
3. Looking away during a toast when "dinging" (can't think of the real English word) glasses in horribly rude
4. You don’t smile at people on the street: unless it’s a dog or a little child
5. Bare feet -- I've talked about this before...no running around the house without shoes!
6. Hugging -- kissing on the lips is less affectionate and "crossing the line" than a hug is. The order: Bisous (kissing each cheek, starting with the right), Kissing in the lips, Hugging
7. It is impolite to go into a small, private, non-chain store and paw around in the items and then leave without buying anything.
8. Hands under the table -- this is incredibly rude. Etiquette dictates that one should put their hands next to their plate and rest the elbows at the edge of the table.
9. Technically speaking -- it is impolite for a man to open a door for a woman. He is supposed to enter a restaurant or building first.
10. Use a bill (rather than coins) when something you are buying costs less than 5 Euro. The Euro has a 2 piece and a 1 piece. Perfect change is preferred here. They use coins SO much more than in the states.

I look forward to your quesitons!

10 comments:

  1. Blakely,

    I give you a lot of credit for trying a dish your host mom wouldn't even identify. At least it was good. We're learning that the French tend to be methodical and logic minded, which goes along with your host dad's comment about Americans wasting so much good meat. Have you noticed that tendency in day to day life or is that more prominent in formal settings like a business meeting?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Blakely,

    I just wanted to reflect on how such small things can make such a difference, even just smiling at someone on the street being impolite in France while it is polite to do so in the US. Right now in class, one of the things we have been discussing is how France is a multiactive culture, and how the French are logical and rhetoric people, but have a blind spot when it comes to discovering the truth, and how they would rather win the arguement at hand. Do you see that at all in any situations you've been in: school, home life, exploring? Also, we have been talking about high vs. low trust cultures, in which France is labeled low trusting. Have you observed that the French are more hesitant in giving out their trust?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Quite exciting indeed!I took french in high school and we had a student teacher, she was quite beautiful, who had lived in France for about a year. She laughed and blushed when she told us of her first french encounters. She ignorantly walked up and down the streets smiling at everyone. Se soon noticed that a couple men had begun to follow her. She was frightened so she found a police officer. He laughed when she explained what was happening because he understood the cultural confusion. He warned that prostitutes are the only people who freely smile while walking up and down the street. Interesting...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Blakely!
    Those insights are so interesting, I never thought of things Americans thought of as nice but France or other countries thought of as rude. I was wondering, do you think France is being hit hard by globalization (such as jobs going abroad, if they are having more "American" things in your small city, English being taught as a second language)? Also, is English the most common second language, or are Spanish, Italian, and German popular as well?
    Have fun! Talk to you later!
    (P.S. I bought Nutella the other day, and dipped animal crackers in it... WUN-DER-BAR!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Blakely,
    France sounds really awesome. It sounds like the French are much more concerned with etiquette than Americans. How are their speech patterns? One of our books states that they are very fast thinking and very logical. Is this true?

    Justin Robb

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, Blakely! I just read your last two posts. Congratulations on being "mistaken" for a native of France! That actually leads into what I wanted to ask you. We've been discussing French culture in class and learned that an incredibly high importance is based on French rhetoric; our book said that people often will receive better jobs if they've mastered the language. I was wondering if you're finding this to be a sort of challenge when interacting with others. I know that you're quite skilled at the language, but I didn't know if you were experiencing any frustration with this. Thanks for responding to all of our comments, by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Blakely!
    It seems that you have been exposed to so many different things in France like different foods, etiquette and even different types of people! You seem to be blending into the culture so well! When you said that your host father came to America in the '70's (which I am sure would be an adventure for anyone during that crazy time!) did he notice how wasteful Americans were and is it a widspread view that Americans are wasteful? How does that affect how people from France look at Americans?
    Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Blakely!

    We've mentioned the percentage of Americans that own passports in my US Foreign Policy class several times, but I only just recently looked up the "official" stats, which are around 30% as far as I can tell. That's greater than I thought it would be, and greater than most Irish think as well, since in my class we put it at 10% or so. I feel like the stats about Americans never having seen the ocean has to be off by quite a bit, but I'm not a demographer, so I don't know!

    I'm glad you're having such a wonderful time in France! Ciao!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I didn't realize you had a blog so I could actually follow what is going on in your life! All of your statuses are in French so I have no idea what you're doing :) This is Valarie, in case you couldn't tell.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really liked your section about
    "Top Ten Things that are Impolite in French culture and not in American culture" It is very important to know things like that before you travel abroad, otherwise you make a fool of yourself. I think that is one of the most interesting things that we have learned about so far this year in LEAD 203 and I believe you would have really enjoyed this class! Knowing how different cultures listen, work in groups, etc is very important but there are some things (like putting your hands above the table at dinner) that I guess books don't teach you! Your experiences will take you far and definitely help you out in the future.

    ReplyDelete