Sunday, February 8, 2009

Questions

Response to questions from the last post:

Carly, I couldn't really tell you about the welfare. My family doesn't ever talk about it and it's not something that they would use. However, there are TONS of homeless people who roam the city here. And they all have dogs. Rumors (don't know if they are fact) tell me that its because if the homeless person has a dog, he cannot be kicked off the street. The same is true in other cities. Yesterday I was in Chartres and there were men outside the cathedral singing and asking for money. As far as unemployment goes, I don't necessarily think it is that high. (I don't know where you got the statistic) There were protests here on Thursday and over 25,000 people showed up to protest. They aren't unemployed, the simply want more from their jobs and education. In my city, unemployment certainly doesn't seem that high. At least in my area of the city. I do not really understand your last question -- France isn't isolated. It is a huge member of the EU and reaches out to Africa and further East.

Steph, as far as technology goes, I think there has been quite a demand for technology within the last 5 years or so. My sister studied here and almost no family had wireless. THat is completely the opposite now --it is strange not to have wireless. In my father's job here, he works from home, so he has the highest form of technology with scanners and fax machines, etc. And the train technology here of TGV (really fast trains) is something that everyone here depends on to get from point A to point B. I hope this answers your question.

France is absolutely fabulous Justin. I have my ups and downs -- but I am absolutely in love with the country and the people. I am well aware of the stereotypes -- and they are too. My family is incredibly nice and I have made some really incredible French friends. None of them are rude. It's just a difference of attitude. French people don't go around smiling all the time or smiling at strangers like we do in the United States. You can smile at dogs or little children. Otherwise, people are just interested in getting to where they need to be. But on a personal level or in stores, French people are very very kind. I think it also depends on the type of attitude you have when you are interacting with them. I have a desire to learn about the culture and not cling to my American culture. It's not that I am ashamed, I just want to learn new things. Others in my program or at my school are not like that. Thus, they think that the French or cold but in reality it's because they aren't trying to see something new.

Sarah -- life here is busy but not like in the United States. People don't book three things at once but they put value in every plan they make. I'm not sure about the work environment, I think it depends on what area you work in. However, the French put more emphasis on personal values like getting to know an individual than to just get what they want out of someone and that's it. It's funny because "customer service" is not a word over here but they value it all the same. Yes, the school environment is more laid back but I think that the grades definitely make up for this. It is incredibly difficult to get good notes here so you HAVE to be productive.

Kyle -- I find the "soldes" really interesting too. I don't know anyone here who works in marketing here to ask how much money is made during the two soldes season versus the normal season. All I know is that Friday and Saturdays here are complete zoos because of all the people shopping. A lot of the things on sale in terms of clothes go for 2 or 3 euros...but I wouldn't say they are the highest quality clothing. I am waiting to see how the stores compare after the soldes end (this Wednesday). The soldes are very similar to those in the department stores in the states because they have some items on sale and others not. (it's always the ones not on sale that you want!!) I hope this answers your question.

Brittany, internet here is absolutely imperative for many jobs and communication for younger adults. Like I mentioned to Stephanie, my host dad uses Internet at least 3 days of the week. He sits at his computer and emails all day while he makes phone calls. SImilarly, students our age use the Internet for communication -- Facebook!!! When my sister was here three years ago, Internet wasn't used much and Facebook didn't exist here. It definitely exists here -- my French friends and I communicate through Facebook.

Julie, the history does intimidate me sometimes. I feel so humbled when I am at a castle or other piece of history and touch it. I can't even believe how many years the building has been there. It's a feeling that is inexplicable. Yes, the French now are concerned with preserving history and cathedrals and things like that, but this was not always the case. Until the 19th century, people did not care much for the history and, like with the tapistries, used art for personal use or would tear down buidlings for roads. This is not the case now, which is a good thing. As far as the sales, it's interesting to think about. I learned last semester in marketing that teaching individuals to wait for sales is not a good way to make profit. People won't buy at other times because they wait for the sales. However, I think France has taken this danger and profited from it. The items they sell at soldes are different than the items they sell normally. This makes people buy at *both* times. This is my impression at least.

Celia, feel free to ask as many questions as possible! Sorry it's taken so long to get back to you!! As far as box retailers go -- France isn't big on the Walmart company or Target. Instead, they have Carrefour. It's just like Walmart but it sells higher quality items (for example they sell Lacoste towels and bathroom supplies). I've only been once because I have to take a 20 minute bus to get there. I honestly don't know if they have a strategic alliance or whatever you are talking about with Walmart or anything like that. My guess would be no. People here don't know that much about Walmart. Your question about outsourcing is a good one -- I'm going to ask my host dad tonight at dinner. :) I'll get back to you.

Alison, interesting question about college studies. I would say the majority of my French friends here are *not* humanities majors. I have one friend studying international studies and the other is studying English but the rest are in the technology and business area. It's interesting here because people are placed into the schools based on the BAC. It's a test, similar to the ACT or SAT, that all graduating students must take. THere are many different types of the test and you have to take one "general" and one "technical" test. If you do well on both you can choose which you prefer (most choose technology) or you pick the one on which you did better. If I didn't explain that well, ask again and I"ll try again. But yes, most students here study technology and commerce and things like that. I'm not sure how it relates to outsourcing but I'll ask my host dad tonight when we talk about it.

1 comment:

  1. Blakely,
    France sounds like a blast. I am also taking an Art History class this semester. Unlike you however, I don't share your enthusiasm for the class. lol. I find myself becoming bored pretty easily in that class. Why is it so interesting to you? Have you visited any of the museums in France where some of the more famous paintings are on display? I think that would be much more interesting than just looking at them on slides.

    Thanks a lot for clearing up all the stereotypes that I mentioned in my last commentary. It made me reconsider not going to France for my semester abroad.

    Looking forward to talking to you again.

    Justin Robb

    ReplyDelete